The NEEDTOBREATHE guys were in London recently and we got some time to ask them a few questions about their career so far, the troubles they have overcome and the great new music that has come out of it. Check out the interview with Bear below:
1. What has had an impact on you over the past few years to bring you to this place now, both personally and musically?
Personally, Bo and I have gone from the lowest point in our relationship to the best we’ve ever been as bandmates, friends, and, most importantly, brothers within just a year. It was difficult but we both came to a mutual realization that we had to address all of those issues that confined us in this wasteland in order to grow personally and musically to where we are now.
2. Has NEEDTOBREATHE evolved greatly throughout these years? If so, in which ways?
NEEDTOBREATHE has been a band for 14 years now so there has certainly been several reincarnations of the band. We’ve gone through the departure and the addition of different members. Last year, we were ready to call it quits and today, we are here in the UK. At the end of the day, after all of the ups and downs, our band is a brotherhood. We are more clear-headed about the band’s identity than we’ve ever been before.
3. Let’s talk about your new album, ‘Rivers in the Wasteland’. Was the writing and recording experience a cathartic one? How did it come together?
Cathartic would be a really good way of describing that process. We had gone out to LA for six weeks and only got three or four songs done. We honestly thought we were going to finish the record in half that time but those weeks were pretty uninspiring. It wasn’t until we forced ourselves to take time off, re-evaluate our relationship, and then have an honest conversation about everything that we finally discovered newfound freedom and creativity.
4. You have previously mentioned that the last album and tour was too over produced and that you wanted to bring your next album back to your roots. Was that an easy process for you?
I think it eventually became easier when we reminded ourselves that we started this band because of our love of music. Back then it was never about making money, or signing a record deal so we made sure that this record would be less about the outcome and more about enjoying the process and bringing back the simplicity of the early days of the band.
5. Which song on ‘Rivers in the Wasteland’ has the most meaning to you and why?
Difference Maker is an important one to me. It’s about the confusion I was experiencing trying to understand my role in God’s plan. I felt like I had to ask myself what I was doing this for, if we were really difference makers. And it is intentionally open-ended for listeners to define what a difference maker is for themselves.
6. Where would you say your strength lies as a band?
We used to think that our brotherly competition was a good thing, but this recording this record definitely disproved that competition has to be good. Now, I’d say that the bigger strength is our love and appreciation of our job and more importantly, each other.
7. It’s great to see that you are not only doing an acoustic tour in the UK but are back for a headline tour in May. The people want to see you play! After coming close to quitting as a band, that must feel good, right? What can fans expect from these tours?
They can expect to hear a lot from the new album as it will be our first time playing it overseas. We’ll be sure to find a good mix between the new and old stuff as well but we’ll keep everything fresh and exciting. We’re so looking forward to seeing our Uk fans again.
8. Fans have been excited to see the different sides of NEEDTOBREATHE and the music you create. Give us a taste of what may be coming in the future.
We always get a ton of great suggestions from our fans about making different types of albums. We think the acoustic album is a good one but currently we’re trying to work on a Live album from the Rivers In The Wasteland Tour. We are pretty excited about that.
NEEDTOBREATHE will be touring the UK in May and their new album is available today!